OSMOLEX ER is a once-daily prescription medication used to treat adults with Parkinson’s disease and drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions.1
What is Parkinson’s disease (PD)?2
- PD is the second most common neurodegenerative disorder after Alzheimer’s disease
- Symptoms include tremor or shaking, rigidity or stiffness, extreme slowness of intentional movement, and impaired balance
- Onset of PD usually occurs after age 60
What are drug-induced extrapyramidal
- Drug-induced EPR are typically reversible effects to the nerves associated with motor activity
- They occur after the administration of certain medications such as antipsychotics
- Symptoms can begin immediately after administration or be delayed by hours or days
- Are rarely life-threatening, but can cause distress for patients and their families
How does OSMOLEX ER work?
- OSMOLEX ER contains amantadine, which is used in PD to help tremor.5
- OSMOLEX ER is an extended-release amantadine tablet that utilized a unique delivery system.1*
This unique delivery system involves an immediate-release outer layer of amantadine that dissolves 30 to 60 minutes after the pill is swallowed. The tablet shell then absorbs water, which pushes more amantadine out of the tablet through a laser-drilled hole at a steady rate.
This results in a consistent dose of amantadine.1,6
This delivery system allows for once-daily dosing with OSMOLEX ER. When taken in the morning, amantadine plasma
levels are higher during the day, without the need for a second mid-day dose.6
Osmotic pressure delivers amantadine at a controlled release rate throughout the day
The color coating and outer layer of
The semipermiable tablet shell allows
water in without letting amantadine out
Amantadine release through the laser-drilled
hole is driven by the osmotic pressure
in the stool as a tablet shell.
- OSMOLEX ER. Prescribing information. Vertical Pharmaceuticals, LLC; 2020.
- Parkinson’s Disease. MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease. http://mghmind.org/disease-research/parkinsons-disease. Accessed April 18, 2019.
- Extrapyramidal Symptoms – statPearls.
- Blanchet P, Kivenko V. Drug-induced parkinsonism: diagnosis and management. Journal of Parkinsonism and Restless Legs Syndrome. 2016;6:83-91.
- Parkinson’s foundation. Amantadine. https://www.parkinson.org/Understanding-Parkinsons/Treatment/Prescription-Medications/Amantadine-Symmetrel. Accessed November 4, 2019.
- DeVries T, Dentiste A, Handiwala L, Jacobs D. Bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of once-daily amantadine extended-release tablets in healthy volunteers: results from three randomized, crossover, open-label phase 1 studies. Neurol Ther. 2019. DOI: 10.1007/s40120-019-0144-1.